This course has been created and compiled by:
Veteran K-8 Teacher for Encore Education Corporation
Ms. Sarah Greene
This course of Reading Language Arts 8A has been created exclusively for students enrolled in Encore Junior High School. This course must be takenin conjunction with Reading Language Arts 8B to complete the full year course. This course is graded on a 4.0 grading system. At the completion of this course, you will earn 5 junior high credits toward 8th grade promotion. Two years or 20 credits of junior high English are required to participate in promotion.
The pacing and curriculum for this course has been created using a variety of reference materials including:
1. Bagert, Brod, et al. A Treasury of Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Henry
Wadsworth Longfellow, Edgar Allan Poe, Carl Sandberg, Walt Whitman. Second Printing,
Sterling Juvenile Books, 1998.
2. Bunting, Eve. Terrible Things: An Allegory of the Holocaust. Revised, The Jewish Publication
Society, 1989.3. Frank, Anne, et al. The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition. Reprint, Bantam, 1997.
4. Jacobs, W. The Monkey’s Paw and Other Tales of Mystery and the Macabre. Revised ed.,
Academy Chicago Publishers, 2005.
5. Maupassant, Guy. The Necklace and Other Short Stories. Revised ed., Dover Publications, 1992.
6. Poe, Edgar Allan. Complete Tales & Poems Of Edgar Allan Po. New edition, Barnes & Noble,
7.Rand, Ayn. Anthem. Amsterdam-Netherlands, Netherlands, Amsterdam University Press, 2009.
8. Vonnegut, Kurt. Harrison Bergeron. Amsterdam-Netherlands, Netherlands, Amsterdam
University Press, 1962.
9. Hagler, Kaye. Take Five! For Language Arts: 180 Bell-Ringers That Build Critical-Thinking Skills
(Maupin House). 11.7.2011, Maupin House, 2013.
10. Paschen, Elise, and Dominique Raccah. Poetry Speaks Who I Am: Poems of Discovery,
Inspiration, Independence, and Everything Else (A Poetry Speaks Experience). 1st ed.,
Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, 2010.
11. Sitomer, Alan, and Michael Cirelli. Hip-Hop Language Arts: Thematic Textual Analysis. 1st ed.,
Street Smart Press, 2015.
California State Standards:
Reading Standards for Literature: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6,
Reading Informational Texts Standards: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,
Writing Standards: 2a-f, 3a-e, 4, 5, 8
Speaking and Listening Standards: 1a, 3
1a-e, 2a-c, 3a, 4a-d, 5a-c, 6